For tourists, business visitors or to visit family for three (3), six (6) or twelve (12) months.


The maximum authorised period of stay is up to 12 months. Once granted, the holder may take formal studies for up to three (3) months and cannot work in Australia. The applicant must have a strong incentive to return to his home country and must possess sufficient funds. Sometimes, the Department of Home Affairs (formerly DIBP) may require the applicant to show a round trip ticket.


For your concerns about Visitor Visas, fill out the form on the right.

Choose the desired service to know more about

With this visa you can

  • visit family or friends
  • be here as a tourist, for a cruise or for any purpose except business or medical treatment

You can study or train for up to 3 months in total on this visa. But if your main reason for travelling to Australia is study, a student visa might be more appropriate.

You can’t work.



You will need a visa if you enter Australia during a cruise.

If your cruise is a round trip cruise, the time you spend on the cruise counts as time spent in Australia – that is, we do not consider you have left Australia. A round trip cruise will not reset your stay period on your visa.

Ask your cruise operator or travel agent if we consider your cruise to be a round trip cruise.


How long you can stay


This is a temporary visa. 


You can stay for the period or dates specified on the visa grant letter. We determine the length of your visa on a case by case basis. Things we might consider when choosing your stay period include:

  • How long you want to stay
  • Why you want to visit in Australia

You might not be granted the length of stay you want.

We can grant this visa with one entry or multiple entries. If we grant you a visa with multiple entries, you can leave and re-enter Australia on the visa while it is valid.


It is a condition of this visa that you don’t stay in Australia for a total of more than 12 months in an 18-month period. If you currently hold a Visitor visa, a Working Holiday visa, a Work and Holiday visa or a bridging visa, and grant of this visa would mean you stay in Australia for more than 12 consecutive months. You will need to show there are exceptional circumstances. 


If we grant you a visa with multiple entries, you can travel outside Australia and return in line with what we specify in your visa grant letter.

If your visa is granted with single entry and you leave Australia, you can’t re-enter on the visa. You have to apply for another visa to come back.

Scroll to Top