The temporary graduate visa, or the subclass 485 visa is for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution. This visa allows an opportunity to study and work in Australia temporarily after finishing studies for 18 months to 4 years. Students are only able to access the Temporary Graduate visa once as a primary applicant.


The visa has two streams: Graduate Work Stream and Post-study Work Stream.



If you are applying as the principal applicant, you and anybody else covered by the application must be in Australia when you apply for this visa.


  • be under 50 years of age
  • hold an eligible visa
  • be in Australia
  • meet the 2-year Australian study requirement
  • meet health and character requirements
  • meet specific qualifications of the stream
  • Australian study requirement

    The Australian study requirement can be satisfied if the visa applicant has completed CRICOS-registered, one or more degrees, diplomas, or trade qualifications in the past six months, which meet the following conditions.

  • The total CRICOS registered duration of the course/s is at least two academic years (92 weeks)
  • The study completes in at least 16 calendar months
  • Graduate Work Stream

    This visa is for international students who have recently graduated with skills and qualifications that are relevant to specific occupations Australia needs. It lets you live, study and works in Australia temporarily.


    • You can work in Australia
    • Qualify relevant to an occupation on the skilled occupation list
    • You can bring your family with you
    How long you can stay?
    This is a temporary visa. You can usually stay in Australia for 18 months. The visa is granted with multiple entry.
    You can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid. The visa starts on the date we grant the visa.

    Post-study Work Stream

    This visa is for international students who have recently graduated with a degree from an Australian institution. It lets you live, work, and study in Australia temporarily.

    • ​​​​​​You can work in Australia
    • You can bring your family with you
    • You need a recent degree a CRICOS-registered course

    How long can you stay?

    The length of your stay in Australia will depend on the level of your Australian study qualification.


    Bachelor degree (including honours): 2 years

    Masters by coursework: 2 years

    Masters by research: 3 years

    Doctoral degree: 4 years

    Scroll to Top